Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Zebra Stripes on a Winter Morning


The birds that feed from my railing are the only color to contrast against this bleak, brittle cold day.  The 5 inch Black-capped Chickadees are first, followed by Blue Jays, Cardinals, Finches, Sparrows and Doves.  One of my favorites is the Red-bellied Woodpecker.  It is the female that I most often spot.  Although, only approximately 9 inches in size, she is a stunner to view in her zebra stripped cape that extends from her neck with a sassy white rump slightly exposed beneath.  From beak to the back of his neck, the male is crowned in scarlet, orange feathers.  She, on the other hand, is distinguished because she has a subtle, gray crown proceeding the red that covers the nape of her neck.  Both have a tan breast with a tinge of red on the underbelly.

I do not often view the male.  Does he say:  “Hey, Susan’s feeding.  Fly down there and get me a seed, will ya?”  Or, does she get the sunflower offering only for herself saying:  “Go get your own seed!”

Doesn’t matter to me why she visits.  Each morning I look for her because, to my tastes, she outshines the other winter birds.  She is smart too; takes her seed off the rail quickly and flies back to her tree.  Quurrrr …. Quurrr; chimp, chimp”; no lollygagging around.  She does not trust humans and that is as it should be if you are a bird. 

I wonder at the nature of the tiny Chickadee that feed right from the palm.  Not the Red-bellied Woodpecker, nor the Blue Jay nor the Mourning Dove will eat from the human hand.  Well, at least not mine.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was the male birds that had color and the other female birds were basically bla in color

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the case of the Red-bellied Woodpecker, both male and females are the same with the exception of the subtle gray cap on female. She still has the scarlet color on back of head and neck. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete